A noisy but fun activity that involves all four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Running dictation is a good classroom strategy that can be used to model the language that you want your EAL learners to produce or it can be used to build background in a piece of content.
Here is how it works:
- Put the learners in groups. I usually have pairs or threes.
- Place a text (in sentences) around the classroom, usually on the walls of the classroom.
- Learners choose 1 person to write and the other / others to run. The learners that are the runners have to run and read the sentences (one at a time) and then dictate to the learner that is writing.
- Complete until all the sentences have been written.
- As a group they then have to organise the paragraph so that it is in order, coherent and cohesive.
- You could then get them to list the key language features of the text which is particularly good if you are looking at a particular genre or type of writing.